Saturday, February 14, 2009

Sweetbread

I just want to offer everyone the following advice:

If you are ever at a fancy restaurant and considering ordering the Filet topped with "sweetbreads," you should know that what you are eating is "the thymus glands and pancreas glands of lamb, beef, or pork."

According to wikipedia, "there are two different connected parts to the thymus gland, both set in the neck. The "heart" sweetbreads are more spherical in shape, and surrounded symmetrically by the "throat" sweetbreads, which are more cylindrical in shape. Although both are edible, the heart thymus gland is generally favored because of its delicate flavor and texture, and is thus more expensive[1]. Typically sweetbreads are soaked in salt water, then poached in milk after which an outer membrane is removed. Once dry and chilled, they're often breaded and fried until crisp. It is also popular to use them as a stuffing or in pâtés."

If you are looking for an image:

http://media.commercialappeal.com/mca/content/img/photos/2007/10/23/24food4.jpeg

I wish somebody had told me this BEFORE I ate them last week, but thank you to Terry for not telling me what it was that I was eating until after my meal was basically fully digested.

It really wasn't bad, but as Denny Crane would say, "I think I have the Mad Cow."

8 comments:

Summer said...

Now that's just sick.

But I loved the videos! Isabelle's huge smile was hilarious! I want a flip camera too, but when we looked into it it seemed like it wasn't very compatible with macs. Do you have a mac or a pc?

Jeff said...

Summer, we have a PC. I think the box said it was compatible with Macs as well, but I haven't really read up on it.

Molly said...

good to know... i will never order "sweetbreads." how deceiving..

cute blog.

The Dunham Family said...

I tried to control myself and not click on the link for the image of "sweetbreads." But I caved, and looked, and am grossed out!
Just looking at the pic is bad. I can not imagine eating it!

Thanks for telling me about your blog. I love the picture of your kids at the top. Adorable!
Sarah

angie and graham said...

kori, I almost experienced sweetbread about 2 months ago. My girlsfriends and I went out for dinner and sweetbread was on the appetizer menu and we all thought "Yum, that sounds good and tasty!" Thank goodness our waiter knew we didn't know what it was because he explained it really wasn't what we thought. We ordered something else!

Kori said...

Sadly, I didn't get to experience the sweetbread at the fancy restaurant. Jeff went for work...he only takes me to the nice restaurants were my choices are cheeseburger or grilled cheese Hmmm choices :}

Lezli said...

I keep reading this and looking for a new post. . . it kind of makes me sick to my stomach. This is why I don't go to fancy restaurants. . . . and basically eat a boring but safe diet.

Greg G. said...

ha ha. that is disgusting! I think Terry should have told you after you had eaten half of it.